When a new vintage of Xanadu Chardonnay arrives, we advise you don't wait around as these are quickly snapped up. This year is no exception, a handful of trophies and gold medals will only speed up this process!
The aroma of this elegant Chardonnay offers a fragrant bouquet of white flowers, pear juice and nectarines with underlying hints of lemon curd and cashews. The palate is medium to full bodied with zesty citrus and bright stone fruit flavours interwoven with pears, yoghurt and Bircher muesli characters, and a silken texture derived from lees stirring. The taut mineral structure, bright fruit and crisp acidity combine to focus the wine perfectly to a dry, persistent fruit finish.
Accolades and Awards
2015 Vintage: 95 Points - James Halliday, Australian Wine Companion "In the 'house style' for Xanadu chardonnay. Poised and elegant, the aromas and flavours are in the citrus and stone fruit spectrum, the oak beautifully integrated and providing texture as much as anything. Grapefruit-like acidity runs evenly through the palate, gathering and lingering on the finish."
2015 Vintage: BEST WHITE WINE - Wine Show of Western Australia 2016 BEST CHARDONNAY - Wine Show of Western Australia 2016 GOLD - Royal Queensland Wine Show 2016 GOLD - Sydney Royal Wine Show 2016 GOLD - Wine Show of Western Australia 2016
From the Winery
Made entirely from Gingin clone Chardonnay which was whole bunch pressed followed by 100% barrel fermentation in select French oak (25% new oak). Wild fermentation was encouraged on all of the components, in order to introduce more complexity and personality into the wine. All of the individual batches which make up the blend were lees stirred throughout a nine-month oak maturation period, without any malolactic fermentation. The final blend was put together in November 2016.
The growing season began with an early budburst after a relatively mild winter with reasonable rainfall. The beautiful spring weather which followed which led to good flowering/fruit set and improved yields for most varieties in the region. Fine, warm weather during summer saw sugar accumulation accelerate quickly in the whites, until a significant rain event mid-January stalled the ripening process until the fine weather returned soon after. While the unusual January rain did present some challenges in the vineyard, it was certainly welcomed by the reds which were just beginning veraison.
The warm, dry weather throughout February was fantastic, ensuring the whites achieved flavour ripeness and enabling the reds to attain flavour and tannin ripeness at full physiological maturity. The 2016 Xanadu Chardonnay is predominantly Estate grown in the Wallcliffe sub-region, with 80% of the blend being made with fruit sourced from our Stevens Road and Lagan Estate vineyards. The remaining 20% was sourced from a mature Karridale vineyard.
Don't Pay: $39.00
WBW Rating: 95/100
Region: Margaret River, WA
Winemaker: Glenn Goodall
Drink now until: 2022
Alc/Vol: 13 %
*Free delivery Australia-wide for 12+ 750ml bottles of wine.
Wine Box Warehouse ABN 18123750642. Liquor Licence No. 36120654 / 36104331
WARNING under the liquor control reform act 1998 It is an offence - to sell alcohol to a person under the age of 18 years (Penalty exceeds $18,000) -
for a person under the age of 18 years to purchase or receive liquor (Penalty exceeds $700)